You are here

Environmental Health

Fremont County Environmental Health is part of Fremont County Public Health & Environment and serves all of the unincorporated portions of Fremont County with some programs extending into Cañon City, Florence, Williamsburg, Rockvale, Coal Creek and Brookside.

Environmental Health provides Consumer Protection services for Fremont County, including Retail Food Establishment (RFE) inspections, RFE plan review for new or extensively remodeled establishments, school inspections, child care center inspections, non-community ground water system inspections, and other duties such as responding to campground and mobile home park complaints, public accommodations complaints, public and semi-public pool & hot tub complaints.

Current Restaurant Regulations

2017 Accountability Report: Environmental Health
Child Care Regulations
Complaint Form - Public Health and Environment
Food and Safety Tips for Healthy Holidays
Temporary Food Establishments Guidelines Temporary Event Food Establishment licenses are no longer issued as a state-wide license, each county/jurisdiction regulates and licenses Temporary Event food vendors, and a license issued in one county/jurisdiction may or may not be valid and recognized in another county/jurisdiction.

Septic Systems

Septic systems are regulated and inspected by the Fremont County Building Department. Environmental Health may offer assistance to the Building Department by request. The Building Department webpage can be visited by clicking here.

Food Handler Training Courses

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment offers online food safety training courses at the link below. The basic course meets the training requirements for Colorado cottage foods.

Food Handler Training Courses

Colorado Cottage Foods Act

Body Art/Tattoo Regulations

The Fremont County Board of Health adopted body art/tattoo regulations, effective July 1, 2009, for Fremont County.  The Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment adopted Rules and Regulations for Body Art Establishments in 2001, so regulations have been in place since that time for all body art establishments and all body artists in Colorado.  Among other provisions, the Fremont County regulations provide for an annual inspection of body art facilities, the issuance of an annual license, review of plans for any new or extensively remodeled body art facilities, penalties for non-compliance and the requirement for parental or legal adultguardian consent for body art procedures on anyone under the age of 18.


16th Street Cafe 302 N 16th St. Canon
Thursday, September 17, 2020 pass
4 Mile Cinemas 127 Justice Center Rd Suite P Canon
Monday, March 9, 2020 pass
8 Mile Bar & Grill 45000 W US HWY 50 Canon
Thursday, August 20, 2020 pass
Thursday, August 29, 2019
All Good Things Coffee Roasters & CO 117 W Main St. Florence
Monday, June 22, 2020
Alta Convenience 6328 1410 Elm Ave Canon
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 pass
Aspen Leaf Bakery and Cafe 113 W Main St Florence
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Backyard BARB-E-QUE
Thursday, August 8, 2019
Barry's Den at Texas Creek US HWY 50 Cotopaxi
Thursday, July 18, 2019
Bernie's Place 1419 S 9th St Canon
Wednesday, October 16, 2019


Fremont County offers an Online Bloodborne Pathogen Training Course.

NIOSH Update Information Additional information on preventing potential bloodborne pathogen exposure.

Requirements for Temporary/Special Event Food Vendors

Event Coordinator Application
Event Vendor Application
Temporary Food Establishments Guidelines Temporary Event Food Establishment licenses are no longer issued as a state-wide license, each county/jurisdiction regulates and licenses Temporary Event food vendors, and a license issued in one county/jurisdiction may or may not be valid and recognized in another county/jurisdiction.

A Temporary/Special Event is a singleevent or celebration that operates at a fixed location for not more that 14 days.  In Fremont County examples would include the Blossom Festival, Florence Pioneer Day, Penrose Apple Day and other similar events.

If an organization or individual would like to have a food booth at one of the Temporary/Special Events in Fremont County, aColorado Retail Food Establishment License (RFE License) is required and the operation must comply with the COLORADO RETAILFOOD ESTABLISHMENT RULES AND REGULATIONS.  Charitable and non-profit organizations located in FremontCounty are exempt from licensing requirements; charitable and non-profit organizations from outside of Fremont County require alicense. 

In order to obtain a Colorado Retail Food Establishment License, you must already have a single or multiple event license issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue.  Even if you have an existing license from the Colorado Department of Revenue, for example a sales tax license for a restaurant that you own, you are still required to have this separate license from the Department of Revenue.  If you have a current sales tax account with the Department of Revenue, there is no charge for the single or multiple event license, but it does take time to get this issued especially if you apply online or by mail (up to 6 weeks), so if time is a factor, you should consider going to the closest Department of Revenue office and applying in person.

Once you have your single or multiple event license issued, you can apply to Fremont County Environmental Health for your Temporary/Special Event License to serve food at the event. Once you have been inspected and your Temporary/Special Event License has been issued, that license will be valid for the remainder of the calendar year for the state of Colorado (with the exception of the City and County of Denver), however you will still be required to contact the event coordinator for events that you plan to participate in and you are always subject to an inspection by the local health department.   

Currently (subject to change) a Temporary/Special Event License is $255.00 if you are preparing and serving food, or $115.00 for pre-packaged food items.  Certain pre-packaged, non-perishable food items may not require a license.

The Temporary/Special Events in Fremont County will have an event organizer or event coordinator and typically that’s the person you should initially contact for information about participating in that event. 

You can print copies of the VENDOR APPLICATION FOR TEMPORARY FOOD EVENTS, the EVENT COORDINATOR APPLICATION, and COLORADO Guidelines for Temporary Food Establishments from the Fremont County website.  If you are a food vendor, you must complete a VENDOR APPLICATION FOR TEMPORARY FOOD EVENTS for each Fremont County event; if there will be no menu or equipment changes for subsequent events, you can complete 1 original application and submit copies for the other events.