Fremont County Clerk & Recorder

General Information
615 Macon Ave.
Room 102
Cañon City, CO 81212
(719) 276-7330
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
Except Holidays

Katie Barr
Clerk & Recorder
Contact Katie Barr
(719) 276-7330

Dotty Gardunio
Chief Deputy
Contact Dotty Gardunio
(719) 276-7330

Election Department
Jami Goff, Election Director
Room 102
Contact Jami Goff
(719) 276-7340
Fax (719) 276-7338

Recording Department
Janis DeCino, Director
Room 102
Contact Janis DeCino
(719) 276-7336

Motor Vehicle Department
Kate Kirst, Director
Room 103
Contact Kate Kirst
(719) 276-7440
Fax: (719) 276-7339

A license may be obtained during regular business hours, in accordance with the requirements outlined below. The license is valid upon issue and must be used, in Colorado, within 35 days. The fee is $30.00, CASH PAYMENT ONLY. Online verifications of marriage and divorce records may be made at the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment. For additional information, please review the Guidelines for Obtaining a License in Colorado below or contacting the Recording Department.

License Information

Printable Forms

Absentee Affidavit - Application for Marriage License
Parent/Legal Guardian Consent to the Marriage of a Male or Female Under the Age of 18
Authorization of Proxy


Guidelines for Obtaining a License in Colorado

Age Requirements
(same for both parties)
  • 18 and Older - No parental consent is required.
  • 16 and 17 - Consent of both parents, parent having legal custody, legal guardian, parent having decision-making responsibility, parent with whom child is living, or judicial approval is required.
  • Younger than 16 - Consent as listed above AND judicial approval (court order) are required. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Secure & verifiable forms of ID:

  • Any current Colorado Driver's License, Colorado Driver's Permit or Colorado Identification Card, current or expired one year or less. (Valid temporary paper license with invalid Colorado Driver's License, Colorado Driver's Permit, or Colorado Identification Card)
  • Any current Out-of-state issued photo driver's license or photo identification card; photo driver's permit
  • Current U.S. Passport
  • Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed for I551 stamps
  • Valid I-94 issued by the Canadian government with L1 or R1 status and a valid Canadian driver's license or valid Canadian identification card
  • A valid Canadian (only) passport without the I-94 issued
  • Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. No border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards
  • Valid I688 Temporary Resident Card, I688B and I76 Employment Authorization Card with intact photo
  • Valid US Military identification (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve, and National Guard)
  • Tribal Identification Card with intact photo (US or Canadian)
  • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo
  • Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo

The following are NOT acceptable forms of ID:

  • Consular cards
  • City and county detention center ID cards
  • Novelty ID cards
  • Souvenir birth certificates (issued by hospitals)
  • Social Security cards
  • As of July 1989, blood tests are NOT required for either party.
  • For purposes of an Inmate who wishes to be married by Absentee Affidavit... a photo copy of the inmate's Prison ID from a Federal or State correctional facility will be accepted as long as a correctional worker from that facility attests on the photo copy that it is in fact a photo copy from the original ID (must be signed and dated by the corrections officer.) This photocopy must be accompanied by an original or certified copy of their birth certificate or one of the secure and verifiable IDs listed above. Please note, this is for the application process only. Inmantes can no longer be married by proxy. The inmate HAS to be able to participate in the ceremony.
  • If one of the parties is still married to another person. All divorces must be final.
  • Marriage/Unions between the following is prohibited regardless of whether the relationship is by half or whole blood:
    • ancestor and descendant
    • brother and sister
    • uncle and niece
    • aunt and nephew
  • Marriage/Unions between cousins is permitted in Colorado.
  • Marriage/Unions license applications issued by another state are NOT valid for solemnization in Colorado.
  • Social Security Numbers ARE required on license applications (C.R.S. 14-15-109).  If a party does not have a Social Security Number, the Affidavit Concerning Social Security Number must be completed and submitted at time of application.  It may be signed and notarized in advance or signed in front of the Deputy County Clerk at the time of application.
  • Witnesses are not required in Colorado. Some clergy, judges or public officials may request them.
  • Both parties must complete and sign the application form. At least ONE of the parties must apply IN PERSON before the Recording staff. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she MUST complete an Absentee Affidavit with a notarized signature and provide a copy of valid identification showing proof of age of the absent party.
  • If either party has been divorced or widowed, he or she must recite the date the divorce was finalized or the death occurred, the city and state where the divorce or death took place, the type of court where the divorce occurred and the name of the other party.
  • Applicants for a license need not be Colorado residents.
  • A couple wishing to renew their vows and obtain a new license may do so by stating they are already married.
  • If final divorce date is 30 days or less from date of application, please bring copy of decree.
  • Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage/union (Colorado Revised Statute 14-02-0109).
  • Marriages/unions can also be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, authorized public officials or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious affiliation.
  • Couples who solemnize their own marriage/union license, complete the bottom portion, both signing as the officiating party and as party 1 and party 2.
  • Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage/union, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage/union. Clergy from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.
  • The person certifying the license shall complete the license form and forward it to the Clerk & Recorder's Office within sixty-three days (63) after certifying.

Any person who fails to forward the license to the Clerk & Recorder's Office shall be required to pay a $20.00 LATE FEE and an additional $5.00 LATE FEE may be assessed for each additional day of failure up to a MAXIMUM of $50.00.

  • Please return completed license to:

Fremont County Clerk & Recorder
615 Macon Avenue Room 102
Canon City, CO  81212

  • Licenses must include the county and location where the union took place, the date the union was certified, the officiating party’s signature and title and both parties’ signatures.
  • Colorado has recognized common law marriage as legal and binding since 1877, and is one of twelve states to do so. A common law marriage is established when the parties mutually consent to be husband and wife. Common law marriage does not require any license, ceremony or documentation to be legal. Parties to a common law marriage are entitled to all rights, privileges and responsibilities of a legal and binding marriage. If the parties need documentation of a marriage, it is recommended that they file a signed, notarized affidavit, attesting to the marriage, with the county clerk and recorder in the county where they reside. This affidavit will be filed as a document, not as a marriage record. Only legal divorce or death of one of the parties may terminate common law marriage.
  • The following are the only two requirements for common law marriage:
    • The parties are free to enter into a marriage. Neither is married to another person.
    • Both parties are of legal age (18). If between the ages of 16 and 18, they have obtained the appropriate parental or guardian consent.
  • The following are examples of what constitutes a common law marriage:
    • The parties hold themselves out to the public as husband and wife.
    • Maintenance of a joint checking and/or savings account.
    • Joint ownership of property.
    • Mutual financial support.
    • Filing of joint income tax returns.
    • Registration as husband and wife on applications, leases, contracts, registers, etc.
    • Use of the man's surname by the woman.
  • Periods of cohabitation, without the aforementioned, do not constitute a common law marriage.
Copies top
  • $0.25 per license/$0.25 per application.
    Certified is an additional $1.00 per document.
  • For copies to be returned by mail, the following additional handling fees apply:
    1-10 pages-$1.00, 11 or more pages-$2.00, or include a self addressed stamped envelope.
  • Request for License Copy Form
  • A Request for Application Copy Form, along with valid form of identification, is required to obtain a copy of a license application.
Name Change top
  • Your license must be returned and recorded before any name change may take place.