Fremont County Clerk & Recorder

General Information
615 Macon Ave.
Room 102
Cañon City, CO 81212
(719) 276-7330
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
Except Holidays

Katie Barr
Clerk & Recorder
Contact Katie Barr
(719) 276-7330

Dotty Gardunio
Chief Deputy
Contact Dotty Gardunio
(719) 276-7330

Election Department
Jami Goff, Election Director
Room 102
Contact Jami Goff
(719) 276-7340
Fax (719) 276-7338

Recording Department
Janis DeCino, Director
Room 102
Contact Janis DeCino
(719) 276-7336

Motor Vehicle Department
Kate Kirst, Director
Room 103
Contact Kate Kirst
(719) 276-7440
Fax: (719) 276-7339

Katie Barr, Clerk & Recorder

Katie Barr, Clerk & RecorderThe County Clerk and Recorder is a Constitutional Officer, elected to a four year term. By law and tradition, the clerk is usually the primary administrative officer in most counties.

The Clerk and Recorder is (1) the ex-officio recorder of deeds, (2) Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners, (3) the authorized agent for the State Department of Revenue and is charged with the responsibility of carrying out the state laws relating to motor vehicles, certification of automobile titles and motor vehicle registration and (4) the clerk is Chief Elections Officer for the county. Fremont County Clerk and Recorder records date back to the mid 1880's.

The Clerk has on record real estate titles, deeds of general assignments, documents affecting lands, judgements, and decrees, federal tax liens, recorded general business papers (articles of incorporation), certificates of incorporation, inheritance tax liens and various other documents.

County CORA Policy

County CORA Policy

Records and Recording of Documents: Information and Fees

By law, the Clerk is not allowed to do searches on properties.  Title and abstract companies must do the searches. (30-10-101)(2.5)(C)

The County Clerk issues and records all marriage licenses allowed by law.

The Clerk records all DD214 service discharge papers for military people, free of charge. Release of military records: information.

Note: The Clerk and Recorder does not provide forms, you may purchase them at any office supply store.